Sunday 21 July 2013

Is too much of a good thing bad for writing?

My new house - I love it but it doesn't seem to be getting me writing!

Over the past few weeks I've been incredibly happy.  After my partner gained a promotion, which meant a move to another town, we bought a house on some land and we've been like a couple of fat pigs up to our ears in chocolatey mud, working on our new property and loving the fact that we are now living in our dream house - a cute little brick cottage.

Of course the move has meant a lot of my time was taken up with finishing my job, packing, moving and unpacking.  But I've been well and truly settled here for the last three weeks - so why no writing and blogging?

I do wonder if my sudden onset of pure glee has dampened my passion for writing.  Not having a job at the moment means I can while away the hours at my leisure.  You'd think I'd be spending every second of it on my writing projects but instead I find myself getting into the garden, or rearranging the furniture for the tenth time.

Does happiness deter the writing process?  My prior life was not misery, but the drudgery of a full time job, and not living ones ideal lifestyle meant that my mind frequently wandered to my stories and day dreams.  My writing projects have always been a wonderful escape from the mundane.  Could it be that a little unhappiness in life helps to drive creativity?  The 'Tortured Artist' stereotype is renowned for a reason.

I love to quote Stephen King, so what does he say about happiness?


"I believe happiness is the exact opposite of sadness, bitterness, and hatred: happiness should remain unexamined as long as possible."


I couldn't agree more.  And over the past week I have got back into my writing and I've loved every minute of it.  I'm not going to examine it further ... but I'd love to hear if anyone else feels they don't write as much when everything is going well in life.

9 comments:

  1. New house looks lovely! :)

    I agree, when there is pressure from full-time routine I am much harder on myself in terms of using my writing time - but on holiday it's much too easy to relax! Probably a good thing I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash! Yeah, I think it could be a good thing. Work is stressful so relaxation can refuel. I'll have to send you more pics ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! That'd be fantastic - I'll shoot you an e-mail now!
      Ash

      Delete
  3. That's me in a nutshell. I thrive on pressure, deadlines and general unhappiness - at least as far as getting things done goes. The thing is, and I think people can be divide up this way, I'm one of those people who LOVES being happy. Not everyone does, but I do. I love lounging, seeing a great movie, drinking a perfect Malbec, going for a mountain hike; generally doing things which mean I'm not writing. I have to force myself to sit down at the keyboard and stay at the keyboard. Of course, when I actually apply myself and really write, really get my groove going, I'm capable of writing some pretty good stuff. And you yourself know what it's like when the writing is going well; you feel like you're not so much writing the story as the story's writing you - you may as well be transcribing it. Anyway, loved your post. Off to check out a Sample of the Viscount's Son now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have to force yourself to sit and stay at the keyboard, then maybe happiness getting in the way of your writing too? Although, I guess for me, it is the daydreaming that isn't as strong when I'm really happy. When I'm feeling a bit 'fed up' with life I escape to the dreams that make my stories as much as possible!

      Thanks for the comment and for supporting 'The Viscount's Son' :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Aderyn,

    I agree with you totally. I had a huge writing desert while I had a job that fulfilled my creative needs. I also had the creative needs of a small child at the time, so although I tinkered round the edges with the writing, the Muse was not standing at my shoulder prodding me with a sharp stick! It takes a lot of time and focus to put those brief ideas that pop into your head into something useable and it's so easy to get distracted. I've now structured my writing into a part of my working life, so hopefully it'll be full steam ahead in future. Good luck with your projects and give yourself the time to write at least 500 words a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Rose. I find structuring writing into my day works for me too. I actually wrote about this very thing in a previous post. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete