Saturday 28 January 2012

How goes the resolution?

I did the typical 'fresh start' thing after New Year's and I wrote a post on this blog stating how I will be more disciplined in terms of my writing.  So, how am I going with it?

Well I took a leaf out of Ernest Hemingway's book and started my own private journal on my writing.  In it I set out a long term plan for my writing along with some very clear goals.  Things like join five forums, follow five blogs, have three followers by Easter.  I haven't quite achieved all of these yet but I now have three followers - thanks :)

But the most important goal I set was to write at least 100 words everyday.  I'm not the first author to have this type of goal - Stephen King writes 10 pages every day!  My little 100 words doesn't look like much but I chose it for a reason.  Like many aspiring writers I find my 'day job' incredibly consuming.  Some days I know I will be struggling to get even 100 words done, but if I do it I'll be writing and achieving something.  So far I have written more than 100 words most days, there were a couple of days I was unable to do any writing at all, but I think we have to accept that sometimes this will happen.  I have completed the first chapter (5000 words) for one of my novels, so I feel like I have accomplished something.  Last night I gave myself a pat on the back and a glass of champagne.  Hope I don't go too crazy when I complete the thing!

One thing I have found quite inspiring to do, is to read what my favourite authors have to say about the process of writing.  I'd recommend this.  If you have a few minutes to spare, just google them and see if they have a web site or blog.  Lots of them do, and lots of them have a section on writing.

Here's some pearls of wisdom from some of my favourite authors:

Katherine Kerr - Here's the secret of any writer's success: reading. What really counts is reading a large spread of different kinds of books -- from fantasy to ancient literature to modern experimental novels to the great classics from all around the world.

Ken FollettAs an aspiring writer, you should certainly start by writing an outline... You solve a lot of problems with an outline. It is far easier to correct your mistakes if you write an outline than if you sat down and wrote, 'Chapter One' at the top of a piece of paper and started writing. 

Jean M. AuelI write for myself ... I don't write for my publisher. I don't write for critics. I don't write for my fans. I know some fans would wish I would write for them, but I don't. It's my book. It's my story. It's my characters. 

George R.R. MartinWrite every day, even if it is only a page or two. The more you write, the better you'll get. But don't write in my universe, or Tolkien's, or the Marvel universe, or the Star Trek universe, or any other borrowed background. Every writer needs to learn to create his own characters, worlds, and settings. Using someone else's world is the lazy way out. If you don't exercise those "literary muscles," you'll never develop them. 

Neil GaimanUse The Web. Use it for anything you can - writers groups, feedback, networking, finding out how things work, getting published. It exists: take advantage of it. Believe in yourself. Keep writing. 

See what I mean?  Aren't they useful tidbits?  The trick of course is to keep yourself focused on your writing and not to get sidetracked reading the wonderful insights of others.  I have sat down to write and two hours later found myself still reading the musings on various blogs and forums.  But this is a good lesson too.  I'm pretty good at tearing myself away now to write.

So off you go, stop reading this drivel and get into your bestseller ;)

I'll leave you with one more quote on writing, since I began with Hemingway why not finish with the Old Man himself?

There is no rule on how to write. Sometimes it comes easily and perfectly; sometimes it's like drilling rock and then blasting it out with charges.
Ernest Hemingway. 

10 comments:

  1. Good for you!! I actually took a creative writing class for one of my college course last spring and the book we were reading for the class inspired me to start a writing journal, the author gave me a lot of suggestions to help me stick to it and you know what? I'm officially on day 369 starting tomorrow! I've done it everyday for over a year now! If you ever need a writing buddy let me know and Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can't tell you how impressed I am, 369 days? You deserve a bottle of champagne :) Thanks for commenting, and thanks for the buddy invite, but be wary ... I might take you up on it ;)

      Delete
    2. Trust me it isn't always easy, some nights you want to make a bargain with your journal, life doesn't always allow writing to be on the top of the to-do list but be wary bargains are never worth it, LoL. And go ahead, I love my writing buddies they're the ones that helped me win NaNoWriMo this year :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, the bargains!!! They whisper in my ear day after day, and unfortunately sometimes I end up listening to them *sigh* Right now it feels like I'm "drilling rock", I just hope it gets better some time soon, because freaking out is so not in my nature LOL
    Following :) My blog is YA Story Teller .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we just have to keep at it when writing gets that way, and take comfort in editing, thank god for editing! Following you too Vanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great advice quotes there. It's so true that we have to keep going at it. I'm quite disappointed in myself that I haven't kept up the kind of head of steam I had during NaNo, writing more would help, oh would it help. One consolation is having a Kindle has significantly upped the amount of books I read in any give month.

    Good times ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm reading more on my iPad, I love it! You know I've heard a lot of authors make similar comments after nano, I'm wondering if it might burn people out a little. But then, many say how wonderful it is for work-shopping with other writers.

      Delete
  5. That last Hemmingway quote is right on! However, regardless of how easily the words and sentences come, once the writing habit is fully imprinted on the brain, it becomes almost more of an addiction. That's the way it was/is for me now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea I think I might have a bit of an addiction myself. All I want to do is write! I find myself getting quite grumpy about having to go to work or do the laundry or talk to my mother on the phone lol!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Aderyn for following my blog. I can already see your blog is very inspiring for writers such as I. I love and truly believe in the quote from Jean M. Auel that you posted. That you need to write for yourself. I think if you do that you will become more free when writing. I recently discovered the writer Allen Ginsberg and he strongly touches on the subject.

    ReplyDelete